- Sex: F
- Born: August 7, 1699 in Chester Township, Chester County, PA
- Died: January 1, 1766
- Notes: Dinah married Mercer Brown, Sr., son of William Brown and Anne Mercer (See Notes for John Churchman). Mercer Brown had 6 children by a previous marriage to Jane Richards.
These children were Catherine, Hannah, Mercer Jr., Jane, Mary, and Ann. Mercer, Jr. later married and built a house near the center of his father's property that still stands near Calvert, Maryland. Click here for pictures of the Mercer Brown house.
After Mercer Browne's death, Dinah married Mordecai James.
Mordecai James's first wife was Gainor Lloyd. Gainor was born February 5, 1705 and died on September 3, 1728, only 18 months after they were married. Mordecai and Gainor had only one child, Hannah James. (Hannah also married into the Churchman family -- see George Churchman). Mordecai married Dinah on September 4, 1736. Their "residence was four miles south of Oxford and 2 miles northwest from Churchman Mansion near the head of the Dam belonging to the Mill of the Cate D. Stubbs." Mordecai and Dinah were married for 30 years before she died in 1766. Mordecai married a third time to Susanna Passmore on December 31, 1767. Mordecai "was a man of good understanding, useful in Meetings, and in the neighborhood". He "died in a quiet resigned state of mind after three days of severe illness with Colic".
Father: John Churchman, b. ca. 1665 in Saffron-Walden, England
Mother: Hannah Seary (Cerie), b. ca. 1676 in Oxford, England
Family 1: Mercer Brown(e), b. December 27, 1685 in Nottingham, Chester County, PA -- d. 1733
February 11, 1728 in Randolph, North Carolina
- John Brown, b. 1729 in Nottingham, Chester County, PA
- David Brown, b. 1731 in Nottingham, Chester County, PA
Family 2: Mordecia James, b. December 6, 1705 in Welch Colony of Josheu, PA. -- d. December 15, 1776 in East Nottingham
September 4, 1736 at East Nottingham Meeting
- Micajah James, b. May 5, 1737 in East Nottingham
- George James, b. October 10, 1738 in East Nottingham
- Marshall Genealogy Page by John Marshall
- Brown Family Page
- Research by Velma Churchman
- "Descendants of Sarah Lloyd and Gainor Lloyd" by John J. Parker, The Chester County Historical Society, West Chester, PA.
- Pictures contributed by Everett and Anna Churchman
Please send corrections, additions or comments to Vici Churchman