- Sex: M
- Born: ca 1785
- Notes: Stephen Churchman is listed in Jefferson County in the 1830 Tennessee Census. It indicates that both Stephen and his wife were between the ages of 40-50 years old. Either his mother or Levice's mother was living with them in 1830.
The 1830 Census also indicates that Stephen had seven children: 1 son between the ages of 5-10, 2 sons between the ages of 15-20, 1 daughter younger than 5 years old, 2 daughters between the ages of 10-15, and 1 daughter between the ages of 15-20.
By process of elimination, it appears that James L. Churchman (age 18) was one of the two 15-20 year-old sons of Stephen Churchman. All of the sons of Reuben Churchman, James Churchman, and John Wesley Churchman have been accounted for in the 15-20 year age group.
Joseph Churchman had a son in this age group, but it could not have been James L. because Joseph married Polly Brittain on May 9, 1812, only 11 days before James L. Churchman was born.
Father: William C. Churchman, b. March 22, 1751 in Pennsylvania
Mother: Mary Wilson, b. 1755 in Virginia
Family 1: Levice Smith
- Married: September 16, 1809 in Jefferson County, Tennessee
- James L. Churchman, b. May 20, 1812 in Jefferson County, Tennessee
- 2 other sons
- 4 daughters
- Marriages of Tennessee 1800-1890
- Family History Library Catalog by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ( in the Knoxville Library in Knoxville, Tennessee)
- 1830 Tennessee Census
Please send corrections, additions or comments to Vici Churchman