- Sex: F
- Born: September 20, 1787 in East Nottingham, Cecil County, Maryland
- Died: November 30, 1866 near Wilmington at Birmingham, Delaware
- Buried: Friend's Burial Ground, Fourth and West Streets, Wilmington at Birmingham, Delaware
- Notes: The Painter Family owned land along the Brandywine River in Chester County, Pennsylvania. An important crossroads ran along the lines of the property which was known then and is still known today as Painter's Crossroads. The Painter Family were Quakers. William's father, Samuel Painter, came to America in 1682.
Here is a description of Phebe Churchman Painter as it was written in "Descendants of Samuel Painter 1699-1903" by Orrin Chalfort Painter:
"Phebe Churchman Painter was of a gentle, refined disposition and beloved by all who knew her. During the latter part of her life she suffered from heart disease and went to spend a while with her son Darwin, at Painter's Crossroads. She afterwards went to "Evergreen", at that time the home of William Pyle, a son-in-law [husband of Margaret Painter Pyle and father of Howard Pyle] on the Philadelphia Pike, about a mile from Wilmington [Delaware]. She died there, about three months later, November 30th, 1866 aged seventy-nine years.
Her grave is at Friends' Burial Ground, Fourth and West Streets, Wilmington."
Father: Edward Churchman, b. February 6, 1757
Mother: Rebecca Pierce, b. November 20, 1765 -- d. March 21, 1848
Family 1: William Painter, b. April 12, 1785 in Delaware County, PA -- d. July 5, 1854 near Wilmington, Delaware -- son of Samuel Painter and Elizabeth Bennett
November 18, 1806
- Mary West Painter, b. September 22, 1808 -- married Davis Haines Hookes
- Samuel Painter, b. September 8, 1810 -- married Mary Haines Hookes
- Edward Painter, b. November 29, 1812 -- married Louisa Gelpin
- Milton Painter, b. July 1, 1815 -- married Sarah A. Hickson
- Charles Painter, b. February 10, 1817 -- married Margaret Hickson
- Darwin Painter, b. February 12, 1820 -- married Sarah B. Pierce
- Elizabeth Painter, b. March 24, 1822 in Delaware County, PA -- married Manuel Eyre, Jr.
- John Painter, b. December 17, 1824 -- married Hannah Hannum
- Margaret Churchman Painter, b. October 4, 1828 -- married William Pyle
- "Descendants of Sarah Lloyd and Gainor Lloyd" by John J. Parker, The Chester County Historical Society, West Chester, PA.
- "Descendants of Samuel Painter from 1699 to 1903" by Samuel Chalfont Painter - researched by Alice Abrash
Please send corrections, additions or comments to Vici Churchman