- Sex: M
- Born: 1823 in Tennessee
- Died: April 3, 1864 in Dardenelle, Arkansas
- Notes: In 1860 US Census, Stephen and his wife, Purry, lived on a farm in Marion County, Arkansas with their seven children. Stephen's farm was adjacent to the farm owned by his brother, Jacob. Stephen served in the Fourth Arkansas Union Cavalry beginning October 1, 1863 at Benton, Arkansas. He died April 3, 1864 in Dardenelle, Arkansas from "congestion of the brain" while in the service.
There is a question regarding Stephen's age. In the 1860 US Census, his age is listed as 32 which would put his birth around 1823. At his death, the service record stated that his age was 45 which would put his birth around 1819.
Stephen's wife's name is unusual and has been spelled several different ways. According to Randell Jones, Purry was named after her grandmother, Purry Warbleton Simmons.
Father: John Wesley Churchman, b. 1774 in Virginia
Mother: Francis ??, b. 1779 in North Carolina -- d. After 1850 in Yell County, Arkansas
Family 1: Purry Ezell, b. 1828 in Tennessee -- died in 1898 in Logan County, Arkansas
February 18, 1847 in Cedar County, MO
- Joseph Churchman, b. 1846 in Cedar County, Missouri -- joined the Fourth Arkansas Union Cavalry on October 1, 1863 in Dardanelle, Ark -- died April 22, 1865 in Devalls Bluff, Ark
- Dorcas Ann Churchman, b. March, 1847 in Missouri
- Alley Elizabeth Churchman, b. 1850 in Missouri
- Frances A. Churchman, b. 1852 in Arkansas
- Mary M. Churchman, b. June 27, 1854 in Arkansas
- Nancy J. Churchman, b. 1856 in Arkansas
- Eliza Eliot Churchman, b. December 7, 1859 in Arkansas
- Research by Randell Jones
- "Fourth Arkansas Union Cavalry - Service Records" by Desmond Walls Allen, page 46
Please send corrections, additions or comments to Vici Churchman