George Richard Churchman
George and Lula Churchman with Georgia Ruth and James Robert
- Sex: M
- Born: December 24, 1865 in Jefferson County, Tennessee
- Died: March 9, 1933 in Aldrich, Missouri
- Buried: In Pleasant Ridge Cemetery
- Notes: George was a farmer most of his life in the Aldrich, Missouri, area. He and Lula built their home on their small farm north of Aldrich upon the hill, and just across the road from where the old Mt. Zion Baptist Church stood. George was a very devoted Christian. He was converted when just a small boy and united with the Rocky Valley Baptist Church in Jefferson County, Tennessee. He came to Missouri when he was a young man, and soon after, united with the Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
He attended this church for many years. When he began to go blind with cataracts, he had surgery which was not successful and lost his eye sight. It was at this point that he and Lula left the farm and moved into Aldrich, just across the street from the Aldrich High School. They were living in this location when George died of pneumonia in March, 1933.
Lula Bell (Degraffenreid) Churchman, like all farm wives, did her part at homemaking. She did all kinds of Arts and Crafts, including painting in oils and water colors. She taught painting classes after George lost his sight. After George's death, Lula bought a home at Ash Grove, Missouri, where she resided when she had a stroke. Since both of their children lived in Oregon, Lula was moved to Coquille, Oregon, where Georgia Ruth cared for her in her home.
After Georgia Ruth's health began to fail, Lula was placed in a nursing home in Bandon, Oregon. She died on May 10, 1955 from complications from her stroke. Lula is buried at Pleasant Ridge, Missouri.
Father: William Montgomery Churchman, b. April 13, 1816 in Grainger County, Tennessee
Mother: Mary Jane Kinder, b. June 11, 1827 in Tennessee -- d. May 7, 1875 in Tennessee
Family 1: Lula Belle DeGraffenreid, b. June 3, 1878 -- d. May 10, 1955 in Bandon, Coos County, Oregon -- daughter of William Charner DeGraffenreid and Julia Anne House
February 9, 1896 at Bolivar, Missouri
- Georgia Ruth Churchman, b. November 24, 1901
- James Robert Churchman, b. November 4, 1909
- George R. Churchmanís Obituary
- George Richard Churchman's Missouri Death Certificate contributed by Cathy Rakoczy
- George and Lula Belle Churchman's Marriage License contributed by Cathy Rakoczy
- Research by Ron Churchman
- Research by Velma Churchman
Please send corrections, additions or comments to Vici Churchman